Can I Work While Waiting for My Green Card?

Oct 31, 2023 | Green Card

can i work while waiting for my green card

For many individuals seeking permanent residency in the United States, the process can be lengthy and full of uncertainties. While you’re eagerly waiting for your green card to be approved, one of the most pressing questions on your mind might be: “Can I Work While Waiting for My Green Card?” The answer is a resounding yes, but with certain conditions. 

In this blog, we will delve into the additional details of working while waiting for your green card, the legal requirements, and the steps involved. For Part 1 of this series, click here.

To recap, it is indeed legal to work in the United States while you’re in the process of obtaining your green card. However, you will need to obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), commonly called a work permit.

The good news is that obtaining an EAD is generally straightforward. In most cases, you must have your immigration attorney submit an application, along with the appropriate fee. After that, patience is key. Typically, people who apply and qualify for an EAD can expect to receive it within several months.

Once you have your EAD, you’re free to work in the United States. While there are some restrictions on the type of work you can do — for example, working for the government is generally not allowed — the EAD allows you to work for any other employer within the United States.

Do Potential Employers Need to See My EAD?

It is essential to present your EAD to prospective employers as it serves as evidence of your authorization to work in the United States. Employers are legally obligated to verify your EAD before hiring you.

Are There Restrictions on How Much I Can Work with an EAD?

No, there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can put in while holding an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You have the flexibility to choose your work hours, whether it’s part-time or full-time, as long as you possess a valid EAD.

What if I Resign or Get Fired While Working?

Nothing adverse will occur if you find yourself terminated or voluntarily leave your job while holding an EAD, aside from the obvious consequence of being unemployed. An EAD grants you the freedom to choose your employment without jeopardizing your EAD status.

Do I Still Need a Work Permit After I Get My Green Card?

Once you obtain a green card, you will no longer require an EAD to work in the United States. You will have unrestricted access to employment with any employer of your choice.

Can I Simultaneously Apply for a Green Card and a Work Permit?

Absolutely, you have the option to concurrently apply for a green card and a work permit. This approach is often recommended as it can help expedite the processing and minimize your waiting period.


In your journey toward obtaining a green card, the ability to work legally in the United States is not only a financial necessity but also an emotional relief. The U.S. immigration process can be complex and lengthy, and navigating it with the right information and guidance is essential. Now that we’ve tackled the question of “Can I work while waiting for my green card,” it’s time to get in touch with the professionals.

At 360 Immigration Law Group, we have been proudly serving the Coral Springs community and surrounding areas since our establishment in 2017. Our commitment extends beyond geographical boundaries, as we serve clients across Coconut Creek, Pompano Beach, Boca Raton, Tamarac, Parkland, Deerfield Beach, Sunrise, Oakland Park, Fort Lauderdale, and Plantation. We offer meticulous legal support and conduct consultations in English, Spanish, or Portuguese via phone, Zoom, or WhatsApp.When it comes to your immigration journey, having the right legal support can make all the difference. Contact us at 954.667.3660 for a free consultation. We are here to provide you with the guidance and expertise you need to work legally in the U.S. while waiting for your green card approval, ensuring a smoother path to your ultimate goal of permanent residency in the United States.